Sunday, July 31, 2011

Vogue 8721

First, I'd like to preface this by saying that I'm no model and I lack photogenecy (the noun form of photogenic? Is that a word?  It is now!)  I asked Gary to coach me and he failed.  In a bunch of pictures it looks like I have a really big stomach, which I don't think I do.  I seriously think I'm going to google tips to taking better photos after I finish this post.

Anyways, presenting Vogue 8721 in View C:



It's a little windy, so the front of my jacket is blowing away a bit, it actually lays flat as in the first picture. 

I bought this really pretty brocade at Joann on clearance.  I thought it was gorgeous, but I had no idea what to do with it.  When Vogue released this pattern I thought it would be perfect for showcasing this fabric.  It also doesn't require a lot of fabric manipulation, it's pretty simple.  In this photo I'm wearing it with a vintage sweater guard I bought on etsy.  I wish I had a close up, it's really cute!  On bottom I'm wearing my pencil skirt, blogged here.  

I'm unsure about how this came out.  I think the combination of the pattern and fabric isn't ideal.  Maybe the little jacket is just too loose for me?  Maybe I need something with less ease?  I don't know.  I think I'm going to leave it to the ultimate test- see how often I wear it!

My one dislike about the pattern is that the sleeves are really tight.  I have skinny noodle arms, and they're tight on me, so I bet they'd be really tight on the average bear.  Just a thought if you decide to make this!

And a back view, I really worked hard to center the brocade patern:


And now on the cutting table, or in my case, rug:
This is Butterick 4985, in View A.  I haven't had good luck with fit on Butterick patterns.  I'm not into muslins, this fabric was cheap enough, but I did a tissue measurement.  I think it'll fit in the bust, but I added an inch and a half to the hips.  I'm also planning on adding width and length to the tie so that it'll make a nice pretty bow; the bow on the line drawing is a little weak for my taste.  I got really cute buttons, so I'm excited to see this finished! I hope it'll be a lucky interview shirt to wear with my lucky interview skirt!

No comments:

Post a Comment