Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Pattern Organization

In an earlier post, I bemoaned that I lost two pattern pieces.  This particularly bothered me because I think my patterns are pretty well organized.  And to prove this, I have pictures!

First, I organize my patterns electronically.  I use Evernote, which luckily came on my new Vaio, but I think there may be a free version of the program.  I started using Evernote after reading this post by Stitchywitch.  Looking at her post again, I notice that hers looks much more user friendly than mine.  Hmm.  Anyways, here's a picture of my patterns in Evernote:

Click the image above to see it larger

As I see patterns that I like on websites, I save them in Evernote in the folder "Pattern Wishlist".  I tag the pattern with descriptors (blouse, dress, sheath) and with the company name.  This is really handy, because when patterns go on sale at Joann I can type in the company name and the patterns that I've been wanting pop up.  So last week when Butterick patterns were on sale for 99 cents, I was able to get the pattern pictured above.

After I buy patterns, I open Evernote and drag the purchased patterns from "Pattern Wishlist" to "Owned Patterns".  I love using Evernote because I can see what I have without physically going through my stash.  

So where do I actually store all these patterns?


This is a Vera Bradley Inspired fabric box I bought at Marshalls for like $12.  You can't tell in this picture, but there's also handles on either side.  I have this sitting on a chair for the picture, but I ordinarily store this box in my linen closet.  However, I chose a pretty box on the chance that it may end up sitting out and not tucked into a cabinet.  The box also zips all the way around for a neat, tidy closure. 

Pictures inside my pattern box:


It looks pretty full, but there's still a good amount of space in there. I figure that once I start needing more space, that will be my cue to start selling patterns I never use on ebay.  

I am not a very organized person, which makes me all the more proud of how well I've organized my patterns.  How do you organize yours?

 

No comments:

Post a Comment