Sunday, April 14, 2013

Lots o' Dots

A simple tee, featuring lots of dots:

This is McCalls 6519, view B, sans pocket.

Line Art

I bought this pattern for the blazer, which I made up like a year ago, and it came out horrible.  Very wide and short and boxy, which gave it an overall 80s vibe.  A wadder for sure.  I never blogged it though because it happened around the time my mom had cancer.

Something about the top caught my eye though, and when I saw this fabric (which I believe is a challis) on clearance for $3 a yard, this pattern immediately came to mind.  I bought this fabric a few months ago though and moved since then, and somewhere in the process of storage and moving some holes formed. There were four holes, lined up the way it was folded, so I know it wasn't a manufacturing error.  But with some creative placing of pattern pieces it worked just fine.

This pattern was super easy.  Only two pattern pieces! No zipper and no closures.  I cut a straight 6.  It slipped my mind to widen it at the hips, but this just gives it a more fitted look which I ended up liking.  In the past I don't think I would've worn something so loose on top, since that's my smallest area.  But as I mentioned in an earlier post, I lost a lot of weight and I'm still getting used to what works on my new body and what doesn't. Since only a small fraction of my old clothes fit, I've had many chances in various dressing rooms to try on different styles and such, but I'm still getting used to it.  I have a lot of thoughts about this that I may dedicate to its own blog post.

More details on my pattern review can be found here.

Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Finished Alma

My finished Alma:

I'm really happy with it!  It's tight enough to show I have a body, but not uncomfortable. My only issue was with the side zipper.  I bought a 12 inch zipper as instructed on the envelope.  However, in the size I made (a zero) I had barely over 12 inches between armpit and hem.  This left like no space to fold a hem and no space at the top.  As a result, the zipper rubbed my armpit all day. I ended up breaking into the first aid kit, taking some gauze, and stuffing it in my armpit.  It worked! But definitely not a long term solution.  I think I'm going to hand sew in a little flap or something to cover the zipper.  Still wearable, and I'm still very happy with it.  If I were to make this again (which I may) I would lengthen it, which I think would look better and would fix my zipper issue.

Overall, I give it an A-, maybe a solid A if I resolve the zipper rubbing.

Click here for my pattern review link.

Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Back and ready for more!

While this is mainly a sewing/crafting blog, I want to address some personal stuff before moving on.  Feel free to scroll down to a brief sewing bit at the end.

I feel the need to address the year-long silence here on my blog.  About this time last year, on Easter Sunday actually, my mom checked herself into the hospital with abdominal pain.  It was diagnosed as pancreatic cancer and she passed away just 4 months later.  My mom and I were very close, and it was a painful experience to say the least.  She was only 46. While this was going on, I also got laid off from San Diego Unified and things fell apart with my now ex-boyfriend.

So while this sounds a little sad, and I guess it was at the time, it launched me in such a good life trajectory.  I ended up moving to Sacramento, where I have some family.  I got a job teaching 7th grade.  I lost 20 pounds.  And I have a new man in my life. I've been sewing a bit off and on in the past year, but things are finally really settled and I've jumped 110% back into sewing and dipping my toes back into my blog.

And now that that's off my chest, onto sewing matters!

I'm currently working on Sewaholic's Alma blouse.

Waiting for sleeves and a hem!

I'm using a black and ivory stretch sateen that I think I bought from FabricMart, but it was years ago. For the contrast collar I'm using a fuchsia corduroy that has also been in the stash for a while.

I told you I had some stuff for years- Look how wrinkled that corduroy was!

I expect to be able to finish it tonight or (more realistically) tomorrow.  But the part I want to brag about is that fact that I installed an invisible zipper-like a boss! And without an invisible zipper foot either.

So invisible you can hardly even see it!

Here's some tutorials I used, if anybody else struggles with invisible zippers like me!
The key for me was to adjust the needle position to the far left and uncurl the teeth as I sewed.  Worked just fine!

Look for some finished pics in a few days. :)