Sunday, April 3, 2011

@*$%!!!!

I'm ready to throw my sewing machine out the window!!

I'm trying to make a simple little racer back knit dress, Simplicity 2443.  The pattern seems easy enough, and everyone's projects came out really cute.

However, I am having a hell of a time sewing this damn thing!

I have some sort of mystery knit fabric.  It was one of those things that I thought was something else when I bought it online, but it's actually a knit.  I think it's a rib knit because it looks the same on both sides, but it's much lighter and stretchier than a double knit.  I also believe it's polyester.  And my sewing machine hates it.

My problem is that my machine is skipping stitches. I have done everything I can think of.  I tried 3 different sizes of ball point needles, I tried a zig zag stitch, and I tried a long straight stitch as recommended here. I give up.  I was seriously ready to throw a hissy fit, so I put it away for the night and went to bed.  I thought maybe if I slept on it, things would improve. They did not.

So where to go from here?

  1.  I'm going to put back in my universal needle and sew some scrap cotton, just to make sure that my machine isn't broken.
  2. If my machine isn't broken, then I'm going to get a scrap of another, higher quality knit fabric (I have some 100% cotton jersey that'd be perfect) and see if I have any success there.  I've sewn knits in the past, I think it's just this fabric that's repulsing my machine.

Has anyone else had this problem where their machine hates a fabric?  What'd you do?

2 comments:

  1. no problems with my machine but sewing that pattern was not fun for me. Just wait til you get to attaching the edging pieces to the bodice. that's when the fun really starts. Good luck!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm, now you've convinced me to toss this pattern and fabric out the window instead!

    ReplyDelete