Sunday, February 6, 2011

Movie weekend

I'm still sick, ran a low fever today, so sewing is still at a standstill.  I didn't finish my wrap dress in time for the bridal shower, but I hope to finish it for my birthday on Thursday.  Honestly, I have such a small amount left I need to just suck it up and do it.

In the meantime, I had a good time watching old movies!  I now get one of the FX movie channels so I've been having a good ole time with that.

One of the movies I watched and loved was A Good Woman.  It's not really an old movie, from 2004, but it's set in the 30s.  I had never heard of it, but I really loved it.  It really reminded me of The Importance of Being Earnest, and since they're both plays by Oscar Wilde I suppose that makes sense!  But I loved the fashion in this movie, this dress in particular:


Of course her stupid cone full of fish hides part of it, but it's a wrap dress with a really cute ruffled collar, in black with white polka dots.  And the ribbon on her hat matches the print.  This movie also made me want to wear more hats!  I think I may have a similar pattern in my stash, I can't find the pattern I'm thinking of online, so I'll have to take a look through my patterns.

And check out the movie poster, I love this also!  I may need this for my house...


Another movie I enjoyed this weekend was Holiday for Lovers.  It's kind of a silly movie, but nice because I don't mind walking away and doing other things and coming back to it.  It's from the late 50s so it has all those great 50s dresses.  I couldn't find a good picture of my favorite dress in the movie, I could only get the top half:

Just imagine that same print, but with a classic 50s skirt and a fairly open back.  Super cute!

AND I bought my FAVORITE movie, Pride and Prejudice, on Amazon and it came on Friday so I've been enjoying that this weekend too!  Not too much to say there in terms of fashion, except I think all the dress they wear would be super cute if they were knee length.  I have a 90s pattern, again I have to look it up again in my stash and I'm too sick and tired to seek it out, but it looks very similar on the top to a lot of the dresses they wear in P&P.

So here's to feeling better so I can share some actual sewing with you soon!

Postscript
While I'm on the topic of old films, I'd like to point out that my blog background constantly reminds me of the bookshop scene in Funny Face:



No comments:

Post a Comment