Wednesday, February 16, 2011

The Mamma Mia Dress

This dress has a good story, and you know I love a good story.

I made this baby back in January.  I was going to New York for the first time to visit with 2 friends who moved back east.  We were going to have a girls weekend in the city and see Mamma Mia!

Wearing my dress to work today and rocking these awesome tights!  Sorry for the messy room, we're doing a lot of household rearranging.

I'm a San Diego girl and my idea of "winter" is not real winter.  But be damned if I was going to be under dressed at a play! So I whipped up this dress.  And when I say I whipped it up, I mean whipped it up.  The night before I was supposed to go to New York, I sewed most of the dress (instead of packing) while hanging out with the neighbors who came over.  Then, the next morning I got up and packed, hemmed my dress, and brought a needle and thread with me and hand basted the collar at my friend's house the night before the play.

But lucky for me this was seriously the easiest dress I ever made!

Here I am on the right wearing my dress in Times Square before Mamma Mia (under a coat, scarf, and hat, and over tights, leggings, socks, boots, and a long sleeve T shirt):


And now a word about the pattern (Butterick 5523)...
This was my first knit garment.  I was unreasonably afraid of knits for a long time.  I don't know why, this was insanely easy. I followed the pattern, except I found the waist elastic to be unnecessary (and I was in a rush!). I also left off the tab detail on the back.  Ironically, that's what drew me to this pattern, but mine wasn't coming out right and I decided I didn't care.

Overall, I'm super happy with this dress, and I got tons of compliments!



In the meantime I'm in the cutting stages of my Pendrell blouse.  I hate cutting out patterns.  I have a vintage pattern from the 70s that's precut.  I guess that's the advantage of buying one size.  Cutting is just so tedious and has no gratification!  But I have a 3 day weekend this weekend and with any luck I'll be sharing finished pictures soon!

2 comments:

  1. Very nice! I love red. Are your tights two different colors? That's awesome. I'm looking forward to the three day weekend as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay my picture made it on your blog!

    ReplyDelete